Air pollution is one of the leading causes of death around the world. Therefore you may be curious: where is the cleanest air in the world? And what country has the best air quality? Smart Air analyzed 2022 air pollution data from 533 major cities spanning 88 countries in the world to create the 2023 ranking of the “25 Least Polluted Cities in the World” to find cleanest city in the world.
Rankings: 25 Least Polluted Cities in the World
The rankings for best air quality in the world are based on PM2.5 air pollution data from the 12 months prior to the publication date.
Read on for the full list of 25 cities with the best air quality in the world and an analysis of what this data means.
1. Zürich, Switzerland (0.49 µg/m3)
2. Perth, Australia (1.61 µg/m3)
3. Richards Bay, South Africa (2.38 µg/m3)
4. Hobart, Australia (2.55 µg/m3)
5. Reykjavík, Iceland (3.38 µg/m3)
6. Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine (3.42 µg/m3)
7. Launceston, Australia (3.51 µg/m3)
8. Wollongong, Australia (3.70 µg/m3)
9. Sydney, Australia (3.85 µg/m3)
10. Honolulu, United States (3.91 µg/m3)
11. Uppsala, Sweden (4.07 µg/m3)
12. Turku, Finland (4.17 µg/m3)
13. Haiphong, Vietnam (4.28 µg/m3)
14. Huế, Vietnam (4.32 µg/m3)
15. Tampere, Finland (4.38 µg/m3)
16. Newcastle, Australia (4.46 µg/m3)
17. Adelaide, Australia (4.49 µg/m3)
18. Tallinn, Estonia (4.57 µg/m3)
19. Halifax, Canada (4.68 µg/m3)
20. Vancouver, Canada (4.69 µg/m3)
21. Ternópil, Ukraine (4.77 µg/m3)
22. Oulu, Finland (4.80 µg/m3)
23. Castellón de la Plana, Spain (4.82 µg/m3)
24. Trondheim, Norway (4.85 µg/m3)
25. Stockholm, Sweden (5.00 µg/m3)
Read More: The 25 Most Polluted Cities of 2023?
What is the Least Polluted Country in the World?
Australia topped the list as the least polluted country in the world, with 7 cities in the top 25. Of the 25 least polluted cities in the world with the best air quality, Nordic countries (Finland, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Estonia) dominated the rankings with some of the cleanest air in the world in 2022.
15 out of the 25 cities with the best and cleanest air were either in Nordic countries or Australia. Zürich, Switzerland once again ranked as the least polluted city in the world. Australia and Finland were the only countries having at least 3 cities ranking in the top 25 least polluted cities in the world.
Below is a pollution heat map from the WHO. WHO research shows that over 99% of people in the world are breathing unsafe air with high air pollution levels.
How Air Pollution Was Measured to Find Least Polluted Cities in World
The above rankings of the 2023 least polluted cities in the world were ranked based on their average PM2.5 pollution levels from the 12 months prior to the publication date.
These small pollutants are under 2.5 micrograms in width and are considered to be one of the more dangerous pollutants due to their ability to enter deep into the lungs and bloodstream.
The PM2.5 AQI 2022 world pollution data used for the rankings of the world’s worst polluted cities are openly available in this excel file. To download the complete raw data visit https://aqicn.org/data-platform/covid19/.
How I Protect Myself
Smart Air is a certified B Corp committed to combating the myths big companies use to inflate the price of clean air.
Smart Air provides empirically backed, no-nonsense purifiers and masks, that remove the same particles as the big companies for a fraction of the cost. Only corporations benefit when clean air is a luxury.
For protection against air pollution, check out the Sqair!